Hearthstone is an urban cohousing community in Northwest Denver Highland neighborhood. The neighborhood is one of Denver’s oldest and most diverse. Located near the southwest corner of the old Elitch Gardens amusement park site (near 37th Ave and Wolff St), Hearthstone has 33 town home units as well as a Common House, garages, and carports. The rest of the site includes a mix of housing, retail, and live/work office space. The historic Elitch Theater is to be renovated and will become a community multi-use facility. The carousel house has been preserved and is used for concerts, farmer’s market, and private parties.
Like many cohousing communities, Hearthstone’s homes and Common House are connected by internal walkways around and through common green areas, a configuration that lends itself to children’s play and casual interactions between adult residents. Hearthstone’s dwellings face inward toward the green, clearly defining it as a community discrete from the larger development. Garages and other parking spaces are on the outer perimeter of the site.
The Hearthstone Cohousing Community offers:
- A nurturing environment in which to raise children
- An opportunity for older people to grow young in an intergenerational community
- A sense of belonging for all who value fun, creativity, environmental concern, and community involvement
- The opportunity to share resources such as tools, machinery, books, and ideas
- A healthy balance between privacy and the opportunity to interact with others